2009年7月9日 星期四

The Oral Expression Ability of College Students

313 words
I took a course called Oral Expression Arts last semester. My original motivation to took this couse was to improve my ability of English speech, because I always feel nervous when I stand on the stage to speak something.
In one week, the teacher let the whole class watched a TV program episode she recorded. The program’s name is “Have You College-Studentsed Yet?” (大學生了沒) In that episode, hosts and guests were discussing about the oral expression ability of college students. Some college students were also invited to the program to be tested. They pointed out three main mistakes of oral expression which current college students usually make. First, they couldn’t get to the main points. It has a lot to do with their chatting with their friends, because they didn’t need to think seriously before they say. Second, their basic Chinese ability is not good enough. Therefore, they couldn’t say something useful or logical. Third, they speak lispingly all the time. Now some famous singers speak like this way. Their bad examples have been immitated by young people. After their discussion, it’s student’s turn to performance. Some of them had to read a sentence, and some had to simplize a short paragragh, and some had to give an immediate comment to a topic. Those activities train students not only their thinking but also organizing ability. I feel some of them are quite difficult for me even in Chinese, not to mention English. But luckily, I am the member of the speech club, so I can train these abilities in two languages.
Although sometimes I will make those mistakes I mention, I have tried to avoid as possible as I can. Next week I will have an oral presentation in class. After my English speaking experience and haf-semester’s learning of oral expression, I believe I can do it better than before, even than in English.

沒有留言:

張貼留言